Hey everyone! Since now I’m all done with my dance debut, I thought I’d share some things I learned along the way! Here they are:
1. Practice is crucial. It is the one thing that cannot and should not be compromised in any way.
2. But so are breaks. While it’s not a great idea to take massive breaks between items while practicing your Margam, it is important to make sure you don’t practice too much and wear yourself out. Practice serves three functions. Initially it is to fine tune and learn steps. But after a certain point, it exists only to maintain stamina and to reinforce and internalize what your body already knows. So do justice to it, but don’t overdo it.
3. Towards the end, start to practice with bangles, maybe some jewelry and part of an old costume to help you get the feel of dancing with all the weight.
4. Practice your poses in advance, and be comfortable with them before your photo shoot.
5. Use a mirror or have someone record you so that you can see if your facial expressions are turning out the way you want.
6. Maintain a balanced diet and get enough sleep.
7. Watch other dancers to inspire yourself or to just learn. This helped me a lot, both before and during my arangetram.
8. Listen to your music and internalize it completely. It really helps. A lot.
9. While practicing, if you make a mistake, don’t stop. Just keep going.
10. This is the most important. Don’t let yourself get stressed out. Just have fun! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Trust me, once you’re done, you’re going to miss it. So enjoy it while you got it! 😉
I hope this helps those of you out there planning your own arangetrams! Even though I miss mine so much now, it means a lot to know that someone out there is benefiting from my experience.
Once again, thank you all so much for all the amazing love and support! We shall meet again next week 🙂